What's in your Career Toolkit?
Pick a metaphor: Building a House. To build a house you need the right tools. But having the tools ready isn't the same as hammering nails, sawing boards, or hanging drywall and completing a project. Your career search isn't about the perfect resume or spending hours on a cover letter. Your career search is about connections. There are just a few tools you need for a career search. Click the links for instructions, suggestions, and free templates.
A Job search is about Making Connections
Is this familiar...you start to think about what you want to do and where you want to work and your mind goes blank? You can barely name specific places, or organizations, or you spin into a quandary of "would they ever hire me?" We all do this anytime we see a job search in sight until we learn how to search for jobs, and advance our careers and vocations.
People are the answer. People we already know, and the idea of people we don't know yet, but who may have some interesting sparks of ideas that will help us blaze a path through our vocations. Your career search not only illuminates you but it illuminates those with whom you connect along the way. Sometimes you may be asking them for help, but that request may be of more help to them than you. Your request for help will be reciprocated and the circles of giving form an infinity. We can work together if you are hesitant about how to reach out, or to do so. Once you find your style you'll have great fun - I promise.
A STEP EACH DAY
Your job search is woven into the fabric of your life at Candler. It weaves through classes, conferences, Con Ed, Internships, alumni events, activities, and more. All the work you do at Candler is part of your career. You are well on your way to the next phase of your calling.
CANDLER CAREER SERVICES EMAIL UPDATES
Want to receive occasional emails about Career Services at Candler? Our Career Services mailing lists are created in Handshake automatically when you open your account. For a specialized announcements you "Apply" for the Job Postings called Candler Resume Books that describe you and you'll receive targeted emails with tips, and some job leads.
Connect With Candler Career Services
Feel free to sign up for a time to attend Office Hours for one-to-one help. Sign-up sheets are posted each week in the Office of Student Programming (near the candy jar).
Anne M. Kelly
Director of Career Services, Candler School of Theology, Emory University
Available PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT & CAREER RESOURCES
- Getting a Job – Watch the videos and access documents from our 3 week series with Anne Kelly.
- Candler Career Services – Find information to enhance your professional life specifically for the Candler community.
- Emory Career Center – Find employment on Handshake, workshops, 1-to-1 help is through Candler Career Services
- Leadership Development Fund - Apply for financial support to attend conferences and professional development opportunities.
- Candler Employment & Internship Opportunities – Find current job postings or submit your own employment opportunity to share with the Candler community. Contact CST-STUDENT-EMPLOYMENT@LISTSERV.CC.EMORY.EDU for more information regarding student employment opportunities at Candler.