A favorite side dish of fragrant couscous with sweet and savory flavors from student Christina Branum-Martin.
I serve this along side lean pork or grilled chicken. No heavy sauces are needed on the meat. The flavors of the couscous are flavors enough. I hope you enjoy it. It freezes beautifully too for that last minute chicken dinner after a long day at Candler.
Makes 8 servings.
- 2 cups whole wheat couscous - larger Israeli couscous preferred
- 2.5 cups water
- 1 cup of shelled pistachios - ground in food processor
- 1 cup of dried currants - or substitute chopped yellow raisins if you have to
- 2 onions - minced
- 1 tsp Better Than Boullion chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ teas Cinnamon - start with this much and add more to your taste
- ¼ teas Cloves - start with this much and add more to your taste
- 6 Tblspn Coconut oil (virgin) - some for the onions, and more at the end of the preparation . Be sure to buy the natural fragrant kind, rather than only oil. This is worth the extra few dollars to secure a good quality oil.