Larry cooked this tasty dessert at this year’s Poor Seminarian’s Cook-off. It is a traditional, delicious, all-American apple pie (just without the gluten).
1.5 cups gluten-free flour (Bob’s Red Mills All Purpose Gluten Free Flour, Avail at Kroger & online)
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon xanthan gum (Bob’s Red Mills)
8 tablespoons butter (cut into pieces)
1 large egg
1 tablespoon gluten-free vanilla extract
7 medium apples, peeled, cored and very thinly sliced. Use mildly sweet to tart very crisp apple
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup gluten-free flour
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/3 cup butter (chilled and cut into small pieces)
Pastry Crust Instructions:
- In a mixing bowl stir together the flour, xanthan gum and cornstarch.
- Then add the sugar, butter, egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Remove dough from bowl and knead and fold on a surface dusted with GF flour until well well combined.
- Divide into two pieces and wrap in plastic wrap, place one in the refrigerator to chill and place the other in the freezer for later use.
- –Go ahead and make Apple Filling while the Pastry Crust is chilling.
- After approx 20 minutes, remove dough from refrigerator and roll into a ball.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out on a lightly GF floured surface until it is the thickness of a normal pie crust.
- Place crust in a 9 inch glass pie dish that is lightly sprayed with non stick spray.
- Using a fork poke a bunch of holes in the sides and bottom of the crust.
Apple Filling Instructions:
- In a large bowl mix apples, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Set aside and let the juices mix.
Crumble Topping Instructions:
- In small bowl mix together brown sugar, GF flour and nutmeg.
- Next mix in the chilled butter and cut it in with a fork or other tool until you have a course crumbly mixture.
Assembling your Pie:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spoon apples into your pie crust, mounding in the middle and pouring the sugary juices over top.
- Sprinkle your Crumble Topping all over the top (use it all).
- Use tin foil to cover edges of crust as it will burn easily.
- Bake for approximately 35 minutes, topping will be lightly browned and filling will be bubbly.
- Let cool for at least an hour before serving.
As someone with Celiac disease, I haven’t had apple pie in years, so when I discovered this delightful gluten free recipe I jumped on the opportunity. The directions are simple and straightforward, as is the ingredient list (although you may have to ask customer service where to find “xanthan gum” at Publix).