New Student Orientation Fall 2017
Orientation Evaluation Winners:
International Student Evaluation: Gilha Lee
Pre-orientation Evaluation: Karen Anderson
Wednesday, Aug. 16 Evaluation: Alex Sherill
Thursday, Aug.17 Evaluation: Dre Davis
Come by the OSP office (RARB 311) to pick up your gift certificate!
LOST AN ORIENTATION EMAIL? CLICK HERE FOR THE ARCHIVED NEWSLETTERS!
ORIENTATION DATES TO REMEMBER
Candler’s New Student Orientation will be held on Emory’s campus and is scheduled for:
- Tuesday, August 15, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm -- International Students Only
- Wednesday, August 16, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm -- All New Students
- Thursday, August 17 8:00 am to 5:00 pm -- All New Students
- Friday, August 18, 8:00 am to 1:00 pm -- All New Students
THIS ORIENTATION IS REQUIRED FOR ALL DEGREE-SEEKING STUDENTS AND INTERNATIONAL EXCHANGE STUDENTS.
Special non-degree seeking students are encouraged, but are not required, to attend Orientation. You are responsible for making work, childcare, or other arrangements in order to participate fully in Orientation.
Other Dates That May Involve You:
- Tuesday, August 15, 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm -- Recommended Pre-Orientation including campus business and Pitts Theology Library tours
- Wednesday, August 16, Late Afternoon -- For all new United Methodist students a mandatory meeting with the Associate Dean of Methodist Studies, Dr. Anne Burkholder
- Tuesday, August 22, 8:00 am to 5:30 pm -- For all new students enrolled in Contextual Education I or Teaching Parish, a REQUIRED introduction to those programs
- Tuesday, August 22, 9:15 am to 10:45 am -- New Episcopal Studies Certificate Program students will meet for Episcopal Studies advising
- Tuesday, August 22, 9:30 am to 12:00 pm --MTS students will meet for an introduction to professional development, followed by lunch off-site
Please note these important dates on your calendar and make arrangements to be present at Candler for the various activities related to Orientation.
- The first day of classes for the 2017 Fall Semester is Wednesday, August 23.
- Convocation for the Fall Semester takes place on Thursday, August 24, at 11:05 am. At Convocation you will be recognized together with new faculty and staff, so you will want to be present for this celebratory service marking the beginning of the 2017-2018 academic year.
TAKE SOME TIME TO GET ACQUAINTED WITH CAMPUS, GO ON A LIBRARY TOUR AND CHECK-IN WITH CANDLER OFFICES OF ADMISSIONS AND FINANCIAL AID, STUDENT PROGRAMMING, REGISTRAR, DEVELOPMENT, INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY, WORSHIP, AND THE EMORY OFFICE OF ACCESSIBILITY SERVICES.
We invite you to join us for the optional Pre-Orientation events that will take place on Tuesday, August 15.
- 10:00 am – 11:00 am, CST Atrium, Campus Tour
- 11:00 am – 4:00 pm, Pitts Theology Library, Library Tours
- 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm, CST Atrium, Check-in with the Candler Offices of Admissions and Financial Aid, Student Programming, Registrar, Development, Information Technology, Worship, and Emory's Office of Accessibility Services
- 2:00 pm – 5:00 pm, CST 369, Classroom Software Orientation
Career Services Orientation Checklist –
Career Services is looking forward to working with you during your time at Candler. You will interact with Career Services at Orientation, within your classes, and through other workshops and appointments. Please complete the REQUIRED checklist prior to Orientation.
Creating some building blocks before you arrive will allow us to have richer and more productive sessions when you begin your time at Candler. Your assignments are listed on the Candler Chronicle, Career Services page.
Consult this list of Candler contacts if you need assistance:
Associate Director of Financial Aid and Admissions
Director of Academic Registration and Registrar
Contextual Education I
Director of Contextual Education I
Program Coordinator, Office of Contextual Education
Teaching Parish Program
Director of the Teaching Parish Program
Director of Career Services
Assistant Dean of Worship and Music
Richard (Bo) Manly Adams, Jr.
Head of Public Services, Reference and Systems Librarian
Reference Librarian and Outreach Coordinator
Reference and Instruction Librarian
Master of Theological Studies Program
Director of the MTS Program
Master of Theology Program
Director of the THM Program
Questions about Orientation
International Hospitality Coordinator