Candler New Masters' Student Orientation 2017
Did you know?
Did you know that the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid and the Office of Student Programming (OSP) at Candler are two different offices? While the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid has been essential in your process of applying and being admitted to Candler, the OSP will be your point of contact for Orientation and life as a student at Candler. Click here to view the important Application Status Page that will be incredibly helpful in the weeks to come. Also, check out our list of key offices at the bottom of this email so you're always connected to the right office!
The Office of Student Programming
ORIENTATION DATES TO REMEMBER
Candler's New Masters' Student Orientation will be held on Emory's campus and is scheduled for
- Tuesday, August 15, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm -- International Students Only
- Wednesday, August 16, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm -- All New Students
- Thursday, August 17 8:00 am to 5:00 pm -- All New Students
- Friday, August 18, 8:00 am to 1:00 pm -- All New Students
THIS ORIENTATION IS REQUIRED FOR ALL DEGREE-SEEKING STUDENTS AND INTERNATIONAL EXCHANGE STUDENTS.
Special non-degree seeking students are encouraged, but are not required, to attend Orientation. You are responsible for making work, childcare, or other arrangements in order to participate fully in Orientation.
Other Dates That May Involve You:
- Tuesday, August 15, 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm -- Recommended Pre-Orientation including campus business and Pitts Theology Library tours
- Wednesday, August 16, Late Afternoon -- For all new United Methodist students a mandatory meeting with the Associate Dean of Methodist Studies, Dr. Anne Burkholder
- Tuesday, August 22, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm -- For all new students enrolled in Contextual Education I or Teaching Parish, a REQUIRED introduction to those programs
Please note these important dates on your calendar and make arrangements to be present at Candler for the various activities related to Orientation.
- The first day of classes for the 2017 Fall Semester is Wednesday, August 23.
- Convocation for the Fall Semester takes place on Thursday, August 24, at 11:05 am. At Convocation you will be recognized together with new faculty and staff, so you will want to be present for this celebratory service marking the beginning of the 2017-2018 academic year.
Emory Transportation and Parking Services Information
Emory Parking and Transportation Services will send out information this summer about parking on campus. If you plan to park on campus, please register for parking as soon as possible after your admission into Candler. As a Candler student, you will want to get a pass in the Peavine Deck (29 Eagle Row). You may choose to purchase an Annual Permit (unlimited parking) for $672 or the Eagle Occasional Permit, which provides one access per use at $5/swipe. Prices are subject to change. Email Emory's parking services for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Because you be on campus all day for several days during the week of Orientation, it will be essential for you either to secure a parking pass from Emory's Parking Services or find alternative ways to commute, such as through the Cliff Shuttles, biking, or carpooling. Many Candler students, staff, and faculty take advantage of the Cliff Shuttle by leaving their cars at Park-n-Ride locations, like North Dekalb and South Dekalb Malls. A list of shuttle pick-up and drop-off times and directions to both malls can be found here.
You can also track the locations of shuttles via the Emory Shuttle TransLoc service. Use the online GPS map or download the Emory University mobile app to your smartphone to track the exact location of your desired shuttle.
Please be on the lookout for parking information from Emory Parking Services!